In my last post, I gave an overview of Knotice’s Direct Display capabilities. These unique capabilities stem from the equally unique qualities of Knotice’s powerful technology. There are a series of requirements to support Direct Display which Knotice – and its partners – are uniquely positioned to provide. So, what does it take to deliver Direct Display and real first-party relevance within display media?
- A data management platform (DMP) able to associate known and behavioral attributes to individual profiles. This role is played by Knotice’s Universal Profile Management (UPM) data environment, one of the few DMPs in the market with proven ability to manage the intake and association of known profile attributes (like CRM data) with online behavior attributes (like site visits or ad impressions) to individual profiles, and update this profile data in real-time.
- The ability to define audience segments from those profiles including real-time behavioral data. Another role played by Knotice’s Unversal Profile Management (UPM) technology, which provides the user interface. This allows non-technical users to define audience segments based on a wide range of condition types, including demographics, purchase history, online activities and more. And because the UPM is the same environment where Knotice customers are defining their email and site targeting also, these customer segments are 100% consistent when activated across digital marketing channels.
- Interface for authoring and distributing custom first-party cookie values to inform ad targeting. Once an audience segment is created within Knotice’s UPM environment, the segment can be activated as an email list, as a targeting rule for site content, or by publishing a custom first-party cookie value (in the brands’ domain). This cookie can be set on the user’s browser via email or recognized site events – and in some cases distributed via the ad impressions themselves. All of this is managed through Knotice’s platform and does not require IT to step in for any site coding operations.
- First-party ad serving technology able to read and react to the cookie values. Knotice’s key infrastructure partner in Direct Display is a company called TruEffect. TruEffect’s proprietary, patented first-party ad serving technology aligns with the Knotice platform to make all of this possible. Because TruEffect’s ad server can read the brands’ first-party cookie values, the custom cookie values created and published by Knotice’s platform – identifying specific user profiles and qualifying segment values – are used to call and dynamically serve the correct ad creative. Ad serving is executed on a one-to-one basis.
- Common IDs allowing all impression data to be fed back into the DMP – at profile level. Campaign disposition is likewise managed at a one-to-one level. Because Knotice and TruEffect are both able to read and write values to the first-party cookie space, the technologies can match and sync system IDs. The result? Ad impression and response disposition data is automatically delivered from TruEffect into Knotice’s UPM environment, which then associates the ad activity data individual user profiles. This provides the framework for advanced analytics based on the wide range of online and offline activities associated together in the UPM environment.
If you’re interested in even more detail or to see the technology in action, get in touch or leave a comment below.